Tuesday, February 24, 2009

x's and y's

so i was on facebook today and what popped up in my feed but a notification that my ex is no longer married. turns out he married a mutual guy friend. and to the best of my knowledge they're both straight. this is hella weird. and to my chagrin, also prompted a moment of facebook-stalkage which unfortunately embarassed me quite a bit. made me wonder why i'd dated him. BUT i got a philosophical point out of it.
there are x's and y's in everyone's life. x's are just exes. you dated them, you broke up, you're okay with it. y's come back to haunt you. people have met them and they can't understand why you dated them and then you think about it and realize that YOU don't even know why you dated them and then you say OH MY GOD WHY AM I SO STUPID and then you are IN THE THROES OF AN EMOTIONAL CRISIS and then there's nothing for it but to call an emergency confab with the girls and trade horror stories. and that's why you call them y's: because you don't know why you dated them.
nonetheless, you can be philosophical about a y. especially if they were a high school y, because you rationalize it as a) i was young and stupid or b) well, i got one mistake out of the way safely or c) i'm a better person for it. seriously, you can use "i'm a better person now because of it" to rationalize ANYTHING.
except if, like me, you aren't, and you're just really sadly convinced that your y is a loser and feel kind of bitchily entertained about it. which is just how i am.