Thursday, November 13, 2008

the joy of life

i'm working my way through a copy of Ibsen's Ghosts (since i have to finish it for tomorrow's theatre class) and i came across this: "The joy of life? Can there be salvation in that?"
i don't know what conclusion was reached in the play since i'm not finished, but yes, there can be. and there is.
i walk down the river on sunny days and watch the water sparkle. i lie around on the lawn in between classes and revel in the feel of the sun on my face. and in such moments, i find peace. i can be swamped in homework, exhausted, or feeling blue, but these are such simple pleasures that just being able to appreciate them makes me forget my worries for a while.
it's refreshing to take my mind off of the garbage life will throw at me, especially since it tends to make me cranky. and when i sit and relax for a while, i feel closer to God, like i understand the world maybe a little better, or like he's reminding me that he's there and no, life doesn't actually suck.
i'm glad i realized this tonight.

No comments: