Tuesday, January 27, 2009

blackness

Incognegro
this post popped up in my google reader this evening. and i have to say, i understand all too well.
one of my cousins called me a white girl last year, for a variety of reasons culminating in the fact that i told her i was taking a white boy to prom. she then proceeded to tell me she'd find me a prom date. a black prom date. and at first i was irritated and hurt, but then i thought more about her and her life and i realized that if she approved of what i did with my life i would have to seriously rethink every decision i made.
we're not close anymore. she's too black for me, i'm not black enough for her. and it's a shame, but i'm most definitely better off. i don't care what people think of me, especially not black people. i date white boys. i'm naturally monogamous. and i'm ambitious as can be. those three traits seem to count against me. but whatever.
"all my skin folk ain't my kin folk" - Zora Neale Hurston

2 comments:

Fly Fierce Fab said...

I feel you girl. I can't even count how many times I've been accused of "acting white" because of my personality, the way I carry myself, or because I too tend to roll with white guys. Hate it or love it, people just need to respect it.

the Mark-Thomas train said...

www.recklesstortuga.com

i posted the video about the bus stop on my facebook profile, but there are other good ones as well.

you should talk to Pierrick about this. apparently he had huge crap when he first started public school for being too dark, but not dark enough.

personally, im a little worried as to how my kids are going to be able to handle the mix.