Tuesday, January 20, 2009

a feminist's dilemma

one of my most long-standing friends has a baby sister who'll be a year old in april. the baby is absolutely adorable, there's no doubt about it, and i love being around her (except she makes me want kids of my own, which is just scary). but i was talking to her earlier and she was talking to me about watching the inauguration with her mom & baby sister, & how much her sister loves the snow, and internally i was like "is the baby really all you can talk about? that's so...female of you." It unnerved me a bit, but is it really so bad of me to feel that way? i feel like women have been so relegated to the kitchen and the nursery in the past that given the options we have now, you're letting the rest of us down if you fall into that housewife mentality as early as your teens.
or maybe i'm just being irrationally feminist? what do we think?

No comments: