Friday, January 23, 2009

internet tantrums: or, why people are depressing sometimes.

so i am apparently officially snotty and condescending. according to myself anyway.
two friends of mine recently posted facebook notes that are basically really long f***-you messages to the world. and i read them and the first thing i thought was "really? being really obnoxiously publicly pissy on facebook? grow up!" and then i said to myself "well i throw tantrums on the internet via my blog...what makes that better?" but i concluded that if you're going to be a cranky ass online and take up space in my news feed, at least have the decency to check your grammar and spell properly. there's no way i can take you seriously otherwise.
hurrah for my absurdly high expectations for humanity. going to MIT really spoils you. in rehearsal the other day someone mentioned that we should ask someone else to scan a document to a pdf file & email it to us, which seemed like a good idea. until someone else mentioned that "people in the real world don't actually know how to do that." and she was entirely right. i feel like an idiot sometimes for not being able to program; until i remember that most people in the real world can't even use fetch. which is insanely simple. and then i get depressed because eventually i do have to function in the real world and i really just want to stay in academia with people who don't make me feel like a genius because i'm really not and it makes me sad that compared to a good chunk of humanity i could be. what a frightening thought.
wow. not even 9 am and i've already hit my arrogant brat quota for like the month. good job me. =P.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Normally I enjoy reading your blog, but why write an entry ranting about how others complain when you do the same or have done the same at least once here on your own blog?

Nuala said...

@Verdant14: it was just one of those things that struck me when i was on facebook at like 3 am. i spent a while trying to figure out whether it was legitimate for me to talk about it since i have a tendency to throw internet tantrums myself, but i ended up getting really confused about what i meant to say, giving up on logic, and posting anyway.